What Is Shared Web Hosting? How Does It Differ From Other Hosting Types?
24/7 Sales & Support.  Call 1300 368 359 Click to Call
The sexy world of
hosting & domains
Back to FAQs

What is shared hosting?

Shared web hosting means that one physical server and its available resources hosted are shared among many users and their sites. On the shared hosting platform, each customer has their own limit on particular services such as disk space, monthly traffic, email accounts, FTP accounts, databases, etc.

Shared Web Hosting is the most economical way of hosting a website, simply because the costs of each server are covered by more users. Due to the favourable ratios, these savings trickle down to the customer.

While it’s the cheapest option available, there are a few things to take into consideration. Because you’re sharing the hosting with other sites, any influx of traffic or code faults on another of the server’s sites can directly affect the speed of yours – this is referred to as the ‘bad neighbour’ effect. For example, another site’s traffic spikes and they’re using 75% of the server’s available RAM, which leaves just 25% for your site and all others.

Shared hosting is a great solution for those who have a somewhat tight budget, where up time isn’t a massive driving factor when deciding on the type of web hosting. Call Hosting Australia on 1300 368 359 to find out if shared hosting is right for you.

testimonial-alex-quote